Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pittsburgh's G20 Soundtrack: #6

I continue to believe most Pittsburgh G20 protesters intend to express themselves responsibly and lawfully, and that their perspectives are at least as valuable as those of the shrimp-and-wine set that will be ushered past security checkpoints to mingle with the world's leaders. I therefore hope those responsible for law enforcement decision-making will act responsibly and lawfully.

Against that background, some questions written by Nick Lowe and sung by Elvis Costello are worth considering. A staple and standout of the Vote For Change concerts, #284 on Rolling Stone's (mildly credible) list of greatest songs, and #6 on Pittsburgh's G20 soundtrack:
What's So Funny 'Bout (Peace Love and Understanding)?
And as I walk on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.

'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away,
just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

Special G20 "international understanding" version, with subtitles:

No comments: