Friday, May 29, 2009

Chrysler In Your Future? Not In Mine

Years ago, I test-drove a Dodge, then spent 15 memorable minutes with a sales representative who, even after I explained that I had several other test-drives to complete and planned to purchase a vehicle in a month or so, continually veered back to the question: "What can I say that will make you say 'yes' today?"

At some point, my eyes wandered to the spine of a binder on his bookshelf: "'No' Is Not An Option: Make the Customer Say 'Yes' Today."

I then responded to his question: "Well, I've considered this carefully, and I honestly think the only way you could get me to say 'yes' today would be to give me a lobotomy as part of the deal."
He pondered my offer for a moment, and I wondered for a moment whether he was debating whether to hit me, but his furrowed brow yielded to a bright smile: "Sir, I'm pretty sure I can get this done for you, but I just need to check with my manager first."

I was out the door before he returned to the cubicle. For years, when we drove past that dealership, my children would sing "Lobotomy Dodge. Lobotomy Dodge. Let's All Go To Lobotomy Dodge."

I often tried to imagine the conversation between that salesman and his manager.

(not-too-smooth segue)

Smaller Chrysler dealers were pressed in recent months to expand inventories (improve manufacturer revenues). A number of those dealers agreed to sacrifice for the benefit of their supplier, and purchased unneeded vehicles in transactions funded by borrowed money.

I could have tolerated the lack of loyalty exhibited when Chrysler repaid the smaller dealers by terminating their franchises. Hard times force difficult choices.

I can not, however, tolerate Chrysler's refusal to repurchase the vehicles that inflated the dealers' inventories (and Chrysler's revenues).

I no longer would purchase a Chrysler vehicle even if they threw in that lobotomy.

4 comments:

Bram Reichbaum said...

Do we have any "small Chrysler dealerships" of that variety in the vicinity? Are any of them large enough to offer "certified" pre-owned vehicles, i.e. with warranties?

On a different subject, if you think N. Rudiak is a 4-1 shot to be our next Council president, you're on more drugs than I. Rookies are still off-limits.

Infinonymous said...

(1) There are several small Chrysler dealerships in the region. One is reported to be the first Jeep dealership in the United States. The pain for some of these dealers could intensify if it is determined that, upon cancellation of their franchises, they will be deemed the first "owners" of any remaining "new" inventory, and therefore will be required to sell that inventory with "B" titles (as "used" cars).

(2) First, concluding that posted odds reflect predictions (rather than aim to equalize action) is a rookie mistake.

Second, traditional rules -- to the extent there are any "rules" governing the circus that is City of Pittsburgh government -- may be about to change with respect to Pittsburgh's city council.

Third, didn't the old rules permit selection of a council president who not only was a rookie but also was chosen precisely because the consensus figured no one could possibly take him seriously as a mayoral candidate?

Bram Reichbaum said...

Care to name any of the small Chrysler dealers? In regards to the old Chrysler/Jeep dealership, is it the one out on Golden Mile Highway in Monroeville? Seriously.

Infinonymous said...

The oldest Jeep dealership reportedly is/was Corwin, in Hickory (northwest of Canonsburg).

Here is a list of the 19 western Pennsylvania dealerships chosen for disenfranchisement.